What is a Body Lotion?
A body lotion is a topical treatment for the skin to moisturize and/or treat it. Applied with bare hands or cotton wool, a body lotion is meant to keep skin hydrated and moisturized while enhancing the skin’s natural barrier and making it look firm and plump.
Benefits of Body Lotion
A body lotion has several benefits for the skin, and its regular application is known to visibly improve skin texture and radiance. Its benefits include:
- Glowing Skin: Body lotions provide some much-needed nourishment to the skin, making it look healthy and supple, which in turn brings out the skin’s natural glow.
- Reduced Dryness or Flaky Skin: Applying a body lotion right after a shower while the skin is still damp is the best way to ensure that your lotion locks the moisture into the skin, making it stay hydrated for long. It thus helps reduce overall dryness and treats flaky skin.
- Slowed Down Signs of Ageing: A body lotion helps reduce visible signs of ageing such as fine lines and wrinkles by delivering important nutrients to the skin that enhance the skin’s elasticity.
- Fewer Acne Breakouts: At times, the oil glands overproduce sebum which may clog pores, ultimately leading to breakouts. A body lotion keeps skin hydrated, thus inducing the oil glands to produce only the necessary amount of sebum, thereby helping the skin combat breakouts.
- Mood Upliftment: The sensation of applying a lotion to your feet, legs and arms can be extremely relaxing. Coupled with a mild fragrance that soothes the senses, a body lotion is an ideal addition to a stress-relieving daily routine.
- Smooth Calluses: The calluses of the feet can sometimes turn rough, painful, and unsightly. The skin around the elbows and knees also tends to get rough over time. Regular application of a body lotion can help replenish the skin, making it supple and allowing you to remove dead skin cells easily.
- Intense Hydration: Age, climate, improper care, and several other reasons can lead to dry skin. A body lotion helps replenish the lost moisture in the skin, leaving it feeling intensely hydrated and nourished.
Shop Best Body Lotion For All Skin Types:
Body Lotion vs Moisturiser
The difference between a body lotion and a moisturiser can be tad tricky to decipher, but we’re here to help. Compared to a moisturiser, a body lotion is lighter and easily absorbs into the skin. It is also slightly less hydrating than a moisturiser, which is thicker, on the greasy side at times, and provides intense hydration to the skin.
Body Lotion vs Body Butter
While both body lotions and body butters are meant to keep skin well-hydrated and supple, they are quite different from each other. A body lotion is lighter than a body butter and easily absorbs into the skin. It feels lightweight and non-greasy and has a higher water content which spreads easily and carries less fatty matter. A body butter, on the other hand, is heavier and carries less water, thus spreads less in comparison to a body lotion.
How to Choose the Best Body Lotion for Your Skin Type?
Much like other skincare products, a body lotion must also be selected basis your skin type so that you can reap the maximum benefits from it. Dry, oily or combination, choose a lotion that rids you of your skin concerns.
- Dry Skin: If you have dry skin, it’s best to opt for a body lotion that is rich in plant-based ceramides that infuse immense hydration into skin cells, thereby boosting the skin's barrier function. Ceramides help retain moisture, fortify the skin and help reduce dryness. For dry skin you can use earth rhythm phyto ceramide moisturizing body lotion.
- Oily Skin: For oily skin, you can go in for a body lotion that contains Shikimic Acid, derived from star anise, and an anti-inflammatory, exfoliating and acne-fighting AHA. It exfoliates the epidermis, unclogs pores, and its antioxidant abilities help protect against free radicals. For Oily skin you can use earth rhythm smooth skin Exfoliating Body Lotion.
- Normal or Combination Skin: Those who have normal or combination skin can opt for a body lotion that is neither too heavy nor watery, and absorbs easily into the skin for long-lasting hydration and keeps skin feeling soft and supple. For Normal to combination skin you can use earth rhythm phyto ceramide body lotion.
- Sensitive Skin: Those with sensitive skin must look for a body lotion that calms the skin and protects against free radicals. If you have sensitive skin, you can opt for a body lotion that contains Mandelic Acid, a gentle AHA that is twice in molecular size compared to Glycolic Acid and exfoliates very gently. It promotes skin cell turnover and brightens while stimulating collagen production. For sensitive skin you can use earth rhythm Smooth Skin Body Lotion.